1 in 10,000

HeartStatistics are one of those things that we talk about a lot in our flat. Almost always these numbers are in conjunction with some health challenge, and my pediatrician husband frequently has the same general statement: 99% chance that this is nothing, BUT if you are the 1%…well, it’s now 100%.

Our daughter Jeanne and her husband Kolya are expecting their third child — our first granddaughter — in early February. They have two young active boys (ages 3 and 18 months-ish) and are more than thrilled to be welcoming a little girl into the family. Already they are discussing names and dreaming about how life will look with three little ones in the home.

Last week Jeanne received a call ten days after a routine ultrasound and she was told to travel to Annapolis (from Salisbury on the Eastern Shore of Maryland) for another sonogram. It seems that the baby was so active and uncooperative (shy?) that they could not get a clear picture of the heart for routine measurements. No big deal. She and Kolya made the drive on Friday leaving at 7 a.m. for the 9:00 appointment. How do you say thank you to a friend who will take all day with your grandchildren so that the parents could go to the center without the distractions of the boys?

Well, once there the staff seemed quite surprised that no one had prepared Jeanne and Kolya about the seriousness of the baby’s condition. What? Are you serious?

It turns out that precious Baby Girl has pulmonary atresia, a condition that affects 1 in 10,000. Pretty good odds. Unless you’re the 1…see what I mean? For those interested, you can read more about this congenital heart defect on this site from Boston Children’s Hospital.

Turns out this little one will most likely be facing three separate heart operations by the time she turns 4 years old, beginning with one within the first days or hours. The birth will now take place at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore…over 100 miles from home sweet home. We are so thankful for the team that is forming to be ready to treat her immediately, as needed.

For my praying readers, would you be so kind as to lift this dear family up in prayer as the Lord brings them to mind? Would you pray that this little heart will not deteriorate further between now and delivery? Would you pray that the medical team will seamlessly work together to bring about the best results possible? Would you pray for safety on the roads as Jeanne and Kolya make multiple trips for continuing evaluation of Baby Girl? Would you pray that Jeanne and Kolya will know without a doubt that God has this under control, that He is not at all surprised by this, and that He has hand-picked them to be the perfect parents for this little one? May the Lord pour out His grace on them during this time of waiting.

I would love to hear from any of you that have experience with open-heart surgeries in newborns!

May God be glorified through all that takes place. He is good.

Comments

  1. Praying for this little one, and her family!

  2. Jenny Brewer says:

    Praying for your family and this precious baby girl!! I’m claiming Exodus 14:14 for all of you…”The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still”.

  3. Praying!

  4. Marianna, you don’t know me, but i learned of your grandchild’s pulmonary atresia from the Malones’ blog. I don’t know of anyone with that specific heart defect, but I have friends with a son who was born with half a heart. He wasn’t expected to live past birth, but that little boy just celebrated his 24th birthday. Also, my husband had his first heart bypass surgery when he was 33 and it was a very new surgical procedure. He is now 72, has had numerous heart episodes and treatments, and he is still active, productive, and serving our Lord. My point is: so much can be done for heart patients; and just when you think nothing else can be done, researchers and doctors develop a new technology, medication, or procedure. God just gives and gives and gives! Know that we will be praying for that precious baby girl and her family. In Christ, Sherry Barbaree

    • Sherry, thank you so much for the prayers. AND for the encouragement that so much is being done by researchers and doctors in this day and age. We are so thankful that Baby Girl is in such capable physical hands and that the Great Physician has this situation in His total control.

  5. Thanks, Malones! The more pray-ers the better!!

Trackbacks

  1. […] Read the post here: https://ukrainiac.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/1-in-10000/ […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: